Her words pierced my ears, then traveled straight to my heart. I could relate to how my friend was feeling, and I wished in that moment I could bear her discouragement for her.
I had been in similar shoes recently, and actually, my footprints were still fresh in them. Even though my situation was different, I knew discouragement all too well.
I’m guessing you know discouragement, too.
You’ve felt its weight, its emptiness, its awfulness. You know how it deflates and defeats and creates questions and doubts. It can take what hope, courage, and confidence we have and crush it in one single blow. And what’s more, once discouragement settles in, it can be difficult to shake. But, even so, we don’t have to crumble under its weight.
Yes, discouragement is real. But, soaking up real encouragement can help us heal. It can lift our spirits and our sights. Instead of fighting discouragement on our own, what if we chose to cling to truth instead? What if we decided to fix our hearts on life-giving encouragement? Encouragement found in the truth of God’s Word?
Why not take a moment to soak in these truths of encouragement below?
11 Verses For When We’re Feeling Discouraged
1. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11 NIV
2. Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. 1 Peter 5:7 NLT
3. With all this going for us, my dear, dear friends, stand your ground. And don’t hold back. Throw yourselves into the work of the Master, confident that nothing you do for him is a waste of time or effort. 1 Corinthians 15:58 MSG
4. Be strong, all you who put your hope in the Lord. Never give up. Psalm 13:24 NIRV
5. The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Deuteronomy 31:8 NIV
6. So don’t be afraid. I am here, with you; don’t be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, help you. I am here with My right hand to make right and to hold you up. Isaiah 41:10 VOICE
7. But those who trust the Lord will find new strength.They will be strong like eagles soaring upward on wings; they will walk and run without getting tired. Isaiah 40:29-30 CEV
8. Brothers and sisters, don’t ever get tired of doing what is good. 2 Thessalonians 3:13 NIRV
9. Let your hope keep you joyful, be patient in your troubles, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 GNT
10. Is anyone crying for help? God is listening, ready to rescue you. If your heart is broken, you’ll find right there; if you’re kicked in the gut, he’ll help you catch your breath. Psalm 34:17-18 MSG
11. You see, the short-lived pains of this life are creating for us an eternal glory that does not compare to anything we know here. So we do not set our sights on the things we can see with our eyes. All of that is fleeting; it will eventually fade away. Instead, we focus on the things we cannot see, which live on and on. 2 Corinthians 4:17-18 VOICE
God can heal our discouraged hearts.
While my words alone couldn’t heal my friend’s discouraged heart, I pointed her to the One whose words could. God’s words heal and they also encourage. He’s good at using times of discouragement to bring about something good. Also, He can grow us, mold us, and transform us through them. And, one thing’s for sure… He’ll never leave us in them.
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9 NIV
Friend, aren’t these verses powerful? So, who can you and I share them with today? Feel free to use and share the printable below.
Much love and prayer,
Linking this post with Anita for Inspire Me Mondays and Mary for #TellHisStory.
Looking for more?
Enter your email to instantly access my FREE RESOURCES - exclusively for my readers!
Your information is safe with me and will never be shared.
How’d you know that it’s one of those “down in the dumps, feel sorry for myself, discouraged even tho I’m so blessed” kinda days? Thank you for these scriptures to Redirect my thoughts. Your wise words have once again touched my soul!
Cindy, it was one of those days for me too. Isn’t it amazing how God’s Word can redirect our thoughts and transform our days? So glad we get to walk this path of life together with Him! Bless you, friend.
Hard to get through these times – but having a friend to vent to and really listen is a balm to the weary soul. Great post, my friend. xo
Susan, isn’t that the truth! So thankful for the friends God places in our lives. Thank you for stopping in! Bless you.
So glad that God truly does heal our discouraged hearts – in so many ways…with Scripture and, often, through a faithful friend! To have such a friend – who identifies with our discouragement but does not leave us there – what a treasure!!
Amen, Jennifer. What a treasure those kinds of friends are! Thanks for stopping over for a moment. I sure appreciate you sharing your thoughts through your words! Blessings!
So, so good, my friend!