Each day you pour out a little here, a little there.
You pour out into the people and things that need you… your spouse, your children, your job, your church, your parents, your siblings, your studies, etc. You give of yourself, and give and give… which is a wonderful thing.
But sharing from experience, if you don’t refill your pitcher, guess what happens? You become empty. You run dry. And have nothing left to pour out. Nothing.
Once it’s dry, how do you fill it back up?
In order to keep giving, you must take time to fill yourself back up. To fill your pitcher back to full.
Take time out for you, and fill your pitcher, so you can be more effective to the people and things that need you.
I’ve learned over time to let go of some of the guilt of taking time just for me. I learned it became necessary to take “a time out” for awhile. I began to do things to pamper myself, to refresh my spirit, and rejuvenate my soul.
What fills me back up may be entirely different than what works for you.
I like treating myself to a massage, or a pedicure or manicure. When money is tight, I do an at-home version of those. I enjoy taking a long walk outdoors. Sitting on our deck, breathing in the fresh air. I even enjoy taking a 20-minute nap to refresh me on the days I’m home.
If you’re not in the habit of taking time out for you, just start with something. Find a couple things that really perk you up, then get in the habit of doing something every week. You will feel like a new person, and the people in your life with think so too!
- Take a walk in the country and soak up the fresh air and the outdoors.
- Take an extended bubble bath.
- Curl up with a good book.
- Give yourself a new look…a new hairstyle, new makeup colors or give yourself a facial.
- Get a manicure or a pedicure, or give yourself one at home.
- Go for a relaxing bike ride.
- Go to a park, take a picnic lunch and enjoy the outdoors.
- Have coffee or lunch with a friend.
- Spend a night or two alone in your favorite hotel. Take things with you that you enjoy. (This is one of my ALL-TIME favorite things to do! I take my Bible, my favorite snacks, and do my nails. This is a total getaway for me!)
- Wear a special outfit.
- Cook your favorite meal (if you enjoy cooking).
- Exercise (if you enjoy exercising).
- Go to a special coffee house and enjoy the atmosphere (if you like coffee).
If you have a favorite thing you do, please share it below. It might just give someone else an idea!
It really doesn’t matter what you do to “fill your pitcher,” just make sure you do something!
What can you do for yourself today?
Looking for more?
Enter your email to instantly access my FREE RESOURCES - exclusively for my readers!
Your information is safe with me and will never be shared.