Are we living or just existing?
I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark would burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time. –Jack London
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.
I believe that sentence is for me today. It’s easy to slip into exist mode, isn’t it? Or is it just me??
We can exist through our daily routines. We can exist through work, school, responsibilities, raising children, marriage, etc., etc. We can exist through what my friend, Jill, calls “the hamster wheel” of life. Pretty soon, before we know it, we have just existed through our entire lives.
Life is meant to be lived, and is too short and important to just exist through.
Take a look at what Apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians in 2 Corinthians 6:11-13 (The Message)…
Dear, dear Corinthians, I can’t tell you how much I long for you to enter this wide-open, spacious life. We didn’t fence you in. The smallness you feel comes from within you. Your lives aren’t small, but you’re living them in a small way. I’m speaking as plainly as I can and with great affection. Open up your lives. Live openly and expansively!
My life isn’t small, and yours isn’t either. It’s big. It’s special. It’s unique. It’s important.
I don’t want to live it small. I imagine you don’t want to either.
Let’s follow Paul’s words to open up our lives, and live openly and expansively!
How do we do that?
- Seek God. Ask Him to help you live each day, each moment in a way that glorifies Him.
- Treat life as the adventure it is. Don’t be afraid to try something new, or to take a few chances. Think outside the box. Break out of the mold of typical, every day life.
- Make a “bucket list” of all the things you desire to accomplish yet in your life, and set out to begin crossing things off your list.
- Invest your time and energy in things bigger than you, and in making the lives of others better.
- Is there a dream in your heart that has been stifled? Pull it back out, dust it off, and revisit that dream. It’s never too late to pursue it.
Your life and mine is meant to be lived–beautifully, abundantly, uniquely–all to the glory of God. If we’ve slipped into exist mode, may this be the jolt we needed to break out of it and live again!
Let’s do it together. Blessings to you today!
Its Woman to Woman (#W2W) Wednesday where we lift each other up and encourage one another, woman to woman. We need each other in this life, and let me tell you, it’s an honor to do life with you! Please add your encouragement below for others who stop by. Let’s make this place one of the most encouraging spots in the online world today. 🙂 I love and appreciate you!
Get posts delivered to your inbox!
Your information is safe with me and will never be shared.