Fear and anxiety. It can feel as if they are attempting to swallow us whole at times. Or am I the only one? Especially when it feels like this world–and life–is reeling out of control. Or when a pandemic hits. Or when we lose our focus and footing. Goodness, gracious.
But, God reminds us many times in His Word not to fear. Some say it’s mentioned 365 times, one for each day. I’m haven’t found that yet to be true, but no matter. God doesn’t desire for us to be walking around petrified and panicked. No. God’s best for us isn’t for us to give into fear. After all, through His provision, His Son gave up everything so we can be free. Yes, even free from fear and anxiety.
So, what do we do?
How do we live in freedom when fear and anxiety beg to consume us? I say let’s look to God’s words. Let’s look to scripture.
Here are 15 Verses to Calm Fear and Anxiety.
And to remember God is in control.
1. When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. Psalm 56:3 NIVPsalm 56:3 NIV
2. Don’t fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.Philippians 4:6-7 MSG
3. For God will never give you the spirit of fear, but the Holy Spirit who gives you mighty power, love, and self-control.2 Timothy 1:7 TPT
4. And when I was burdened with worries, you comforted me and made me feel secure.Psalm 94:19 CEV
5. Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs it down, but an encouraging word makes it glad.Proverbs 12:25 AMPC
He’s with us wherever we go.
6. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.Joshuah 1:9 NIV
7. Say to the anxious and fearful, “Be strong and never afraid. Look, here comes your God! He is breaking through to give you victory! He comes to avenge your enemies. With divine retribution he comes to save you!”Isaiah 35:4 TPT
8. Do not yield to fear, for I am always near. Never turn your gaze from me, for I am your faithful God. I will infuse you with my strength and help you in every situation. I will hold you firmly with my victorious right hand.Isaiah 41:10 TPT
He’s on our side.
9. The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?Psalm 27:1 NIV
10. I asked the Lord for help, and he saved me from all my fears.Psalm 34:4 CEV
11. God is our shelter and our strength. When troubles seem near, God is nearer, and He’s ready to help. So why run and hide?Psalm 46:1 VOICE
12. The Lord your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.Zephaniah 3:17 NKJV
13. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.1 Peter 5:7 NIV
14. Cast your burden on the Lord [release it] and He will sustain and uphold you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken (slip, fall, fail).Psalm 55:22 AMP
This may be my favorite.
15. Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.Psalm 91:1-7 NIV (Read the rest of Psalm 91)
It’s clear, isn’t it?
God is in control.
And, we don’t have to be. Thank you, Jesus. Let’s take a collective sigh of relief, together. Let’s let the petrified and panicked thoughts evaporate. And, let’s keep our eyes fixed on the One who is in control.
We may not know what tomorrow holds, but we do know Who holds tomorrow. And for today, that’s enough.
God bless you, friend.
Get posts delivered to your inbox!
Your information is safe with me and will never be shared.